Lobbying vs. Advocacy
Not all advocacy is lobbying, but all lobbying is advocacy.
- Advocacy ≠ Lobbying
- Always check with your organization first
- Restrictions have to do with state vs federal funding
- You can always advocate off-the-clock
- Lobbying requires a direct “ask”, for example asking a legislator to make changes to a bill
- You can always advocate by educating!
- 501(c)(3) organizations CAN lobby if it constitutes 5% of annual budget or less
- If you want to know more, we offer a full 2 hour training