Online Advocacy Training
It’s going to be a busy year at the NH Statehouse: are you ready to be a part of the action? Whether you can’t recall anything you learned in civics class, are new to the NH political system, or simply need a quick refresher about the ins and outs of the process, you can now view New Futures trainings from the comfort of your own home! We’ve divided our traditional day-long training content into eight chapters of online training. There is an overview of the legislative process, a tour of the Statehouse, tips for contacting your legislator from top policymakers, and more!
Watch all of the training modules at once or dip into the ones you find most interesting.
- The History of New Futures - Our Executive Director Linda Paquette shares some of what makes the New Futures approach unique.
- What do Lobbyists do? - Jim Monahan of the DuPont Group explains the different types of lobbyists.
- Tour of the New Hampshire Statehouse - See where the magic happens and learn a bit about one of the nation’s oldest legislative buildings.
- Pop Quiz - Test your knowledge and see where you may need to brush up on your NH civics knowledge.
- How a Bill Becomes a Law - Our former Advocacy Director Tricia Lucas tells you the ins and outs of how New Hampshire legislation is made.
- A Word from the Legislators - Senate Majority Leader Jeb Bradley and former House Majority Leader Terie Norelli share tips on how to communicate with your legislators.
- In the Legislative Office Building - Tricia Lucas takes you inside a typical hearing room and explains how to effectively participate at the committee level.
- Tips for Testifying - Tricia explains how to craft testimony that is succinct and compelling.